Monday, July 19, 2010

Making Sure I'm Not Numb

Wow! The Lord has truly been at work in my heart this past week. You would think that after almost two months down here you would start to become numb to some of the things we encounter everyday. The Lord has made sure that I am not numb to the things going on down here this week, and I am so thankful for that. Here are just a few of the ways he has been at work.

The group this week is an eclectic group from four different churches. They include Highland View, Carbondale, Maricamp, and Clear Creek. It has been so much fun to get to know everyone and to watch them bond as a group as well. I got to go with the group this week on Puerto Plata day. My group went through the women's ward and visited with the patients there. I met a lady named Dorotea. I figured out that she had been having some heart problems and was in a lot of pain. When I asked her if she had any family there, she told me she didn't have any family at all. My heart immediately broke for this sweet woman, and I asked if I could pray for her in English. We held hands and prayed together. Then Rosi prayed for the entire room in Spanish. When we opened our eyes, Dorotea had tears rolling down her face. I immediately started sobbing. I hugged Dorotea so tight and told her I loved her and would be praying for her. It was so tough thinking that this lady did not have any family and was all alone. I am so blessed to have family and people that care about me and are constantly praying for me.

Also, one of the little girls in Bobita, Andeli, might be coming to live at the Children's Home. She is absolutely precious, and while I am excited that she might be coming to live there, the situation makes me sad. Her dad's girlfriend left him, and he has no way to work and take care of his children. I pray that what is best for Andeli will happen, and once again, I am thankful for a family that loves me and can take care of me.

One final little story...we have started working with a lady at the hospital in Puerto Plata named Anna Brugal. She is trying to make some improvements to the children's ward. She told Norm a story the other day of a woman whose baby had been brought into the hospital. It was very obvious the woman did not want the baby, and after a few days it seemed that the woman had poisoned her baby. I just can't imagine hurting one of these innocent children.

I write all of this to say the people here so desperately need our prayers. The sadness and pain never stops, and while it is sometimes difficult, I am so thankful that God has reminded me why I'm here and has made sure I have not become numb to what is going on. Love and miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for hooking up with Manna, Jill. We enjoyed our experience there very much. All 22 of us want to come back sometime. It was great to see you and the other interns leading and serving together. You're making a lasting impact on the lives of many. Have a great Summer! ~ Scott Fertig

    ReplyDelete