Thursday, October 20, 2011

Back in the Loop

So as I’m sure many of you have noticed, I’ve been a pretty terrible blogger since school has started.  We have just been so, so busy!  However, that is no excuse for keeping all of you out of the loop, so I want to apologize and let you know that I will try to start doing better about updating my blog more frequently.  
To briefly get everyone back into the loop, here are some things that have been going on here in the DR:

1. School is going absolutely wonderfully.  The kids have adjusted so well to all of the changes we have thrown at them, and we are about to wind down our first grading period next week.  Can you believe we’ve almost finished eight weeks of school!?!  You know what they say...time flies when you’re having fun.  I genuinely do have fun with our students and have fun teaching them, but it isn’t always fun and games.  The more we get to know some of them, the more we learn about their heartaches and struggles, and to be really honest, we just don’t always know how to deal with it.  It’s kind of a bittersweet thing.  It’s sad to hear about some of the things our kids are going through or have gone through, but at the same time it’s encouraging to know that they feel comfortable enough with us and with one another to share those things.  All in all, these first few weeks have been a growing experience, and I know that will only continue in the weeks to come.



2. I took my disciples to the beach.  One Friday afternoon when there was no school here due to a holiday, Ibelca, Elisa, Rosmery, Keren, and I packed up our coolers and our beach bags and headed to the beach.  It was so much fun!  I was kind of nervous because this was really the first thing all of us had done together.  I have a wide age range of girls, 12 to 18, and I just didn’t really know how it would go.  But we all had a wonderful time.  Keren, Elisa, and I swam in the ocean, while Rosmery took a million pictures and Ibelca hunted for a crab.  I just really enjoyed watching them out of the school environment.  I get to hang out with some pretty amazing girls, and while not everyday is a day at the beach, I do enjoy those moments when I see their true personalities shine through.  At their request, we will be making another trip to the beach in the near future.


3. My mom and dad came to visit.  This was Dad’s first time to visit and for both of them it was their first time to see the school in action!  I really enjoyed getting to spend some time with them, and I am so thankful that they got to actually be a part of what I do every day.  They had a really good visit, and I’m excited for the next time that they get to come.  Hopefully Abby can make the next trip!

                                       

4. Wilson had a very successful treatment on his eyes.  As many of you know, Wilson is one of our students at MCS and a boy who lives at the Children’s Home.  He has had some major eye issues involving his cornea and several infections for quite some time now, but wasn’t able to receive treatment due to a lack of money.  Well, the problem had reached a boiling point and Wilson was in serious need of some help.  We petitioned our friends and family in the States, and so many of you came through with support for Wilson.  He had a procedure done a few weeks ago to basically clean off the interior of his eyelids.  It was very successful, and we are waiting to see if there is any permanent damage to his corneas.  We were all overwhelmed by the support Wilson received, and we are so grateful for all of the support and prayers that Wilson received.  We are truly blessed to all be a part of God’s family.

So in a nutshell, that’s what has been going on.  I hope you feel a little more informed now, and I promise I will try to do my best to post more frequently.  Please continue to keep all of us in your prayers.  I love you and miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment