Sunday, May 30, 2010

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

Hello everyone! We're having a lazy Sunday afternoon around camp after an intense day of orientation yesterday. We spent basically all day Saturday dividing up jobs among the interns. I am in charge of events and finances. This means that I will be in charge of making sure VBS's, Puerto Plata Day, Community Day, as well as anything else the groups participate in runs smoothly. I'm excited about this job even though I know it is going to be a lot of work.

Our first group arrives on Tuesday, so please keep them in your prayers! We are excited to get started, and we are ready to see how this first week goes.

As I'm sure some of you are wondering, I finally got to see the kids from the Children's Home. It was soooo good to see them! They are always so much fun to be around. However, I wasn't aware of this, but practically all of the kids go home over the summer. The babies will stay, but most of the older kids will be gone. While this makes me sad, I have some good news as well. Porfi and Carla, the couple in charge of the Children's Home, are looking to add one new child between the ages of 0 and 2 for the next 32 months! This means there will be so many new children, and I am so excited about that!

I have had a question about the food here. It is very good, and Norm, the MannaDR Field Director, makes sure we are very well fed. We do eat Dominican food, but I actually like it a lot and it is very filling. The only thing so far that I'm not sure about is cow tongue. Haha. Ronald, Rosi, Porfi, and Carla, some of the other missionaries, cooked the other night. They are all from Costa Rica and they made cow tongue for us which is a delicacy there. It kind of tasted like roast, but it was kind of weird, too. I don't know that we'll be having that again anytime soon. Haha.

We might get to go to the beach this afternoon if the rain holds off. Tomorrow we are going to buy all of the food for the first four weeks! We're leaving bright and early in the morning. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment