Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Shower? Not Necessary

Wow. That is the only word I have for the time that has passed since my last post. Before I get into details, let me just say that I'm sitting in Norm's house in nasty clothes and I haven't showered in almost 48 hours. I'm looking and smelling pretty rough, but yesterday and today have been crazy!

Yesterday morning we left camp at 6:30 A.M. to head to Santiago to buy food for the first four groups that are coming. All of the interns, Chad, Norm, Rosi, and Ronald loaded onto the Daihatsu with coolers and tubs to pack all of the food. Santiago is about a 3 hour drive up a mountain. With all of the tubs on the truck, it was not the most comfortable I've ever been. Anyway, we finally got to Santiago and had to leave the Daihatsu at this place because it needed some maintenance work. So...we were on our own to get to PriceSmart where we were going to get our groceries. I took my first ever taxi to PriceSmart with Glenn, Evan, and Rachel and two other people and the taxi driver. It was crazy, but so much fun. I could not stop laughing because I know we looked ridiculous all piled in that car. It was definitely an experience. PriceSmart is pretty much like an American Sams or Costco. We literally spent over 4 hours in there getting all of the food for the summer. Then we had to go a few more places after that to get some things they don't carry there. We shopped all day and it was exhausting. After that we had to pack it all on to the Daihatsu and get it back to camp. Talk about scary! The truck was packed full. I rode the entire way back with my knees pulled up to my chest. It was a crazy ride, but so funny.

Once we got back to camp, we had to unpack everything off of the Daihatsu so that it could be taken to pick up the group today. It was around midnight and we were all unpacking the truck. I went into our bathroom to get some Clorox wipes to clean off one of the tubs where something had leaked. I reached out to the shelf to grab some wipes, and almost grabbed a boa constrictor. AHHHHHHHH!!!!! It was slithering around on the second shelf in our bathroom. I'd say it was probably about 3 feet long and it was pretty thick as well. I went running outside and told the group. Ron came in and carried it outside and took it far away. If it comes back again, we're killing it. Yuck! That definitely gave me the creeps!!!

So after all of that drama, we were ready to jump in the shower and go to bed. However, I got in the shower to find that there is no water. Apparently, there is a leak somewhere. We decided after talking to Chad to wake up early today and get the problem solved. So...after driving all day on the Daihatsu, we jumped in bed dirty, sticky, and gross.

As of right now, 1:45 P.M., there is still no water. We've spent most of the day getting camp ready for the group coming tonight. We interns are going on 48 hours without showering. I am disgusting, but I can honestly say the past few days have been so much fun. We've worked hard and had some problems, but we've gotten closer as a group and have laughed so much. There really are blessings to be found in every situation. I know the Lord will provide and everything will get taken care of before the groups get here. Please continue to keep us in your prayers! The East Hill group is arriving tonight!

1 comment:

  1. This post was so funny I laughed out loud!! So glad everything is going well Emily and Chris leave sat. to come for a week maybe they will see you!! Hope that boa doesn't come around again!! You are in my prayers!! LOVE YOU !!

    ReplyDelete