Friday, December 17, 2010

A "MAGI"cal Week

This past Saturday, I was blessed with the opportunity to travel to the Dominican Republic with my mom.  The Dominican is a place I've always wanted my family to be able to experience, and to have my mother come with me was such a blessing.  It was so wonderful for her to finally be able to meet all of these people I had told her about and see all of the places I had tried to describe to her.  We had a wonderful week together, and I'm so glad she now knows why I want to move there.

Our week was spent dropping off Magi boxes for the kids of the Dominican Republic.  We did four separate drops, and each one was a blast.  All of the kids we saw and interacted with were so sweet and grateful for the gifts we gave them.  There is nothing like playing "Santa Claus" and seeing a kid's eyes light up when you hand them a present.  While Magi was a blast, it is also sad to think that this might be the only present these kids get for an entire year.  It really serves as a reminder of just how blessed we are.

Seeing all of the kids I got so close to this summer was probably one of my favorite parts of this trip.  They have all grown up so much in just a matter of a few months, but they are still the same kids at heart.  Jordan, a boy I interned with this summer, and I got to lead singing Sunday night at movie night, and it was so much fun!  I love spending time with all of those kids and just playing with them.  On Monday night, we had a Christmas party for the Princesas and Pescadores, the older boys and girls in Rio San Juan.  It was a blast!  We played games, gave out gifts, had ice cream, and I even got decorated like a Christmas tree.  It was hysterical and probably one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Jordan, Jarred (Jordan's brother), Mom, and I were able to walk through Bobita one afternoon and visit with all of those amazing people.  I think we literally drank our weight in coffee, but it was worth it.  No matter how many times I go to the Dominican, I'm still amazed at how gracious and hospitable the people there are.  Each person we saw invited us in and genuinely wanted to catch up with us and wanted us to stay for a while.  That's one of my favorite things about the people there.

Leaving the Dominican is always tough, but this time seemed a little bit easier.  I'm grateful for this trip, and I'm so happy my mom was able to experience it with me.  I'm excited about moving to the Dominican, and this trip just further confirmed that that is where I need to be.  Please keep Rachel, Evan, Porfi, Carla, Abi, Dani, and Norm in your prayers as they'll all be traveling the next few days to be with their families for Christmas.  Also, keep Chad, Ronald, and Rosi in your prayers as they are staying in the Dominican and will be away from their families for Christmas.  I'll try to post pictures of our trip soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment