Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Brief Update on Life in Guatemala

It’s been a few days since I’ve written so I thought I’d give all of you a little update on some things that have been going on here in good ole’ Antigua.
Monday: I got super sick.  It was not a pretty sight and I spent pretty much the entire afternoon hanging out in our super blue bathroom.  I think I might have eaten something that just did not set well with me.  Luckily, it only lasted one afternoon and it was over.
Tuesday: I was still feeling a little weak from the day before so I spent the afternoon relaxing at our little house.
Wednesday: Audrey and I decided to go on a trip with the school to climb a volcano called Pacaya.  We were given very little information besides what we needed to wear.  It was about a 45 minute drive to the volcano.  When we got there we were told it was about an hour or an hour and a half hike up to the top.  Well, to make a long story short, the hike ended up being about 2 hours, I was definitely not up to it after being sick on Monday and had to ride a horse half of the way up (how embarrassing), and it literally poured rain the entire time we were there.  By the time we got to the top, we were soaked to the bone and we couldn’t see any of the lava or anything because we were in the middle of a cloud.  I’m sure Pacaya would have been cool on a better day, but needless to say, it was not a good experience for us.  Oh well...we do have a really funny memory and we got a good laugh about me riding a horse up to the top.  Haha.
Thursday: We decided to brave another adventure with the school and went up to Cerro de La Cruz, a little area that overlooks all of Antigua.  This ended up being a great decision for us.  The view was absolutely beautiful with the volcano in the background, and we really enjoyed getting to see all of Antigua.  It was a lot of fun, and we got to take lots of pictures!
Friday: Audge and I made plans to go to Coban with the school, but the trip got cancelled due to lack of interest.  So, instead we decided to enjoy some of the fun things Antigua had to offer!  Audrey and I went out for a night on the town in Antigua.  We found a nice little restaurant that had some yummy non-Guatemalan food and afterwards we went to cute little coffee shop in the Central Park.  When we left the coffee shop it was dark so we took a tuc-tuc (these cute little cabs that look like miniature cars) back to our house!  It was a super fun night, and we enjoyed getting to experience some of the fun things about Antigua.
Saturday: Today has been a pretty relaxing day.  We went to the gym, walked to the Arch and toured the ruins of La Iglesia Merced which was hands-down the most beautiful church we’ve seen so far, went to the market, and now we’re back at our new-found little coffee shop in the Park.
This past week was a pretty good one and we’re excited to see what the next one has in store.  As always, check out all of the pictures from our little adventure on Facebook!  Love and miss you all very much!  

No comments:

Post a Comment