Monday, May 23, 2011

A Swiss Family Robinson Weekend

This past weekend Audrey and I went on a trip to Semuc Champay.  We had a really great time, but it was an interesting experience to say the least.  
We left Friday afternoon around 2:00 and finally arrived at our destination around midnight.  It was a super long trip on a pretty uncomfortable little van.  We were really happy to finally arrive.  However, when we got there we found out that we were staying in an ecological hostel which basically translates to the following: we slept in a hut you had to climb a ladder to get up to, the bathroom and shower was in a separate hut, and there was no electricity.  Hence the title...A Swiss Family Robinson Weekend.
The next day when we woke up and could finally see where we were, we realized it was going to be a fun trip. The area was really beautiful, and we booked a tour for the day to see some of the sights around the area.  The tour started off with a hike up to a look-out point to see some of the beautiful natural pools.  When we got to the top, it was absolutely gorgeous.  I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anything quite like it.  We couldn’t wait to get down to the pools and start swimming in them!  The pools were just as much fun as the view made them look.  The water was crystal clear and it was so nice!  There were even little rock slides we got to go down from one pool to the next.  It was really fun and a brand new experience.  In the afternoon we got to relax a little and take an intertube ride down the river.  After that came the most stressful part of the day for me.  Part of the tour included going in a cave.  This wasn’t your typical cave experience.  Each person in our group got a little candle and the guide had a headlamp.  However, the worst part was that there were parts of the cave where you had to swim!  It was super creepy and kind of tough while holding a candle in your hand.  It was definitely a new experience, and Audrey really enjoyed it so I’m glad we got to do it.  However, I don’t think I’ll be doing that again.  Ever.  After the cave we trapped a tiger in a pit and Ernst wrestled an anaconda in the river.  Okay...that part is just a joke but I needed to keep the Swiss Family Robinson theme going.  The rest of the night was spent having dinner and meeting some interesting people from around the world.  It was a really great day.
On Sunday we woke up bright and early and made the long trek back to Antigua.  We made it back safe and sound Sunday afternoon around 4:30.
The weekend really was a lot of fun, and I’m so glad I had Audrey there to experience it with me.  Actually, I’m just really glad she’s been on this entire trip with me.  I don’t know what I would have done without her.
Please keep as both in your prayers as we’re only in Antigua for 10 more days!!!  Woohoo!  I’m so ready to be back in the DR.  Pray that we’ll learn as much Spanish as we possibly can and please continue to pray for our safety and health.  I love and miss you all very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment