Monday, January 31, 2011

Here's What's Happening in the DR!


Well, I finally made it to the Dominican Republic!  I can’t believe I’m actually here!  So far, everything has been wonderful.  I flew in Friday along with a group of men from Northside Church of Christ in Jeffersonville, Indiana.  These men were flying down to the Dominican to do some construction on the buildings that we will be using for our school.  Chad and Rachel met us at the airport and we all drove back to camp on the Daihatsu.  When we arrived back at camp, some of the men who had flown in a day earlier from the Northside group already had completed a lot of work.  It was so exciting to see what they had done, and to anticipate what will be completed by the time they leave. 

After eating dinner with everyone, Rachel and I drove back to her and Evan’s apartment in Rio San Juan where I will be staying until about the first week in March.  I was able to get unpacked and get kind of settled in.  I’m so glad that I get to stay with them for a bit while I’m getting settled.   I love Evan and Rachel, and they have been so helpful with this transition.  I’ll try to post pictures soon of my new place. 

On Saturday Rachel and I got to go pick up Chris and Angela Lowe, two of the members of our advisory board, at the airport.  On the way we were able to do a little shopping and I even got a Dominican cell phone!  I feel so official now.  Haha.  Anyway, we picked them up and headed back to camp.  It was so good to see Chris and Angela and spend some time catching up with them on the way back to camp.  Once we got back, we were able to look at all of the school supplies that had come in on the UPS container that flew in with the men from Northside who came in early.  It was so exciting to see all of the desks, books, and supplies that will be used in the school!  It made everything seem more real, and I’m very excited to do more work on the school.  I’m also very thankful for all of the people who took the time and the effort to make sure that we were able to get all of those supplies.

Sunday morning we had church at the Outreach Center.  Afterwards, Evan, Rachel, Ronald, and I went to visit with the aunt of Milagros, a lady who is a member of the church in Rio San Juan.  Her aunt is very sick so we went to pray with her and visit.  Afterwards, Evan, Rachel, and I went to eat at La Casona, a restaurant here, and had a meeting with Nubia, Manna’s secretary.  We spent Sunday afternoon working on some documents for the meeting we have later this week.

Today we've come out to Bobita to inventory the supplies we have for the school.  Later this afternoon we're having Princesas and Pescadores and then coming back out to Bobita to spend the night out here.  

On Thursday night, we are having a meeting with the parents of the prospective students of the school.  Please be praying that the parents show up, that the meeting goes well, and that we are able to effectively communicate what we will be doing.  Pray that the parents will have a desire to have their kids be a part of the school, and pray that they are willing and ready to do whatever needs to be done to make that happen.  I will try to post again soon.  Love and miss you all very much!

1 comment:

  1. Jill, just wanted to say hello and so glad to hear you are safely in DR and already busy getting it all together :) Will keep you in my prayers! God bless your efforts there. Looking forward to checking out your blog often. (I linked to it from Facebook.) See you later!

    ReplyDelete