Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hospital Highlights

The group from Northside Church of Christ is here this week. They've been a lot of fun to work with and get to know. This week's hospital visit was especially momentous. For those of you who don't know, the hospitals here are very different from the hospitals in the United States. There are large rooms with tons of beds lining the walls. Patients have sheets on their beds only if their families bring them. It is very dirty, and there is no way that any procedure done there is sanitary. There is a lot of pain and a lot of suffering, and sometimes it's very tough to deal with. However, after visiting so many times, I have gotten past my fears and actually enjoy visiting the people in the hospital and bringing them some joy. Yesterday, I met the sweetest lady who was staying with her grandfather in the hospital who had prostate cancer. She had on the prettiest bracelet, and when I told her I liked it, she just gave it to me. It was so sweet, and she had such a positive outlook on life. I really enjoyed talking to her and her grandfather. I also got to see a guy named Antonio who I had met the week before. He is in the hospital for a broken leg which is infected. He had a deck of cards there yesterday, and we did some card tricks for each other. It was so much fun, and we had a wonderful time visiting together. There are many more stories like this every week, but these especially stuck out to me yesterday.

On another note, I'm sure many of you are wondering how the first church service in Rio San Juan went. It was this past Sunday, and there were 7 adults present and 35 kids. We were so excited about this turnout and we pray that it will continue to grow. Please keep us in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment