Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ministering with Mary Poppins

I’ve written about this before, but I love how comfortable the kids at the Children’s Home feel about coming into my house.  A few weeks ago, the kids had been over playing at the house after church one Sunday afternoon.  All of the boys were there, and they wanted to watch a movie on my laptop.  I figured once I told them the options they would change their minds pretty quickly.  I have two movies here.  When in Rome (a major chick flick) and Mary Poppins.  Well, I definitely didn’t expect this, but they were all apparently dying to watch Mary Poppins.  I got the movie set up in my room and they moved all of the chairs from my kitchen table into my bedroom and put them in a neat little row.  The five of them piled into four chairs, and we spent the rest of the afternoon watching Mary Poppins in Spanish.
Once again I am amazed at how the simplest things can entertain and amuse them.  I love that there was no complaining about how small the screen was or how they couldn’t hear it very well.  I love that there was no complaining about what movie we watched.  They simply wanted to be together and spend time doing a fun activity.  
I love those kids very much, and I pray that activities like that will continue the entire time I’m here.  Whether it’s watching Mary Poppins,  playing countless games of Clue  or Mouse Trap, or drawing on the white boards and playing in the cabinet, I hope they will always see my house as a fun place that they are always welcome.  


No comments:

Post a Comment